Drifting softly, falling gently, white clumps of snow appear speckling the landscape and changing the colors of Glistening Evergreens. Whether exploring a choose-and-cut lot for just the right Christmas tree or hiking through an evergreen wilderness, the appearance of snow dramatically changes the scene. A medley of simple slipped stitch cables over Garter stitch background creates the evergreen motif while the optional color change adds surprise and delight.
The tech edited and test knit pattern is fully written and charted with a couple of how-to videos available on the Knit Eco Chic blog.
Available exclusively in our 2022 “Slip and Rise” Pattern Club!
Pick up the Slip and Rise Pattern Club on Payhip, Ravelry, and Lovecrafts.
Cowl (shown): 24”/ 61cm around by 10.5”/ 26.5cm tall
Snood: 24”/ 61 cm around by 16”/ 40.5cm tall
2 skeins Five Wise Owls fingering weight yarn in The Wizard (MC) and Sea Glass (CC)
Single skein info: Hand dyed 100% organic cotton; 437yds/ 400m per 100g/ 3.53oz
Cowl: 70g/ 2.47oz
Snood: 90g/ 3.17oz
US 3/ 3.25mm circular needles
5 locking stitch markers, including 1 unique for start of rnd
25 sts and 43 rnds over 4”/ 10cm in pattern stitch. Note: exact gauge is not critical to this design. Gauge variations may impact final size and yardage requirements.
- Color It: for help when choosing your colors, MC creates the tree graphic, and CC creates the snowflakes.
- Customize It: the chart key is designed to highlight the tree pattern. As a bonus it also enables you to easily pick when to add in the falling snow and ground cover snow if you’d like a more custom look.
- Slip It: always slip as if to purl with yarn in back.
- Cable It: Glistening Evergreens cowl features a medley of 1/1 cables. A cable needle is optional. You may choose to work the sts out of order without one.
- Cross It: be sure to cross yarns at MC and CC transitions.
- Bind It Off: check out the mini tutorial on the 6-st I-cord Garter St Alternating Bind off on the Quick Stitch Tutorials blog here.
- Graft It: for finishing the top I-cord, graft live sts to the cast on. Check out the blog here for a quick video demonstration.
- Navigate It: pattern page 3, written directions pages 4-5, charts pages 5-6, and chart key page 6.
- John 17:17.